St. Louis Veterans Job Fair
Chaifetz Arena at St. Louis University
1 South Compton Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63103
St. Louis Veterans Job FairJuly 12, 2018 11:00 AM – July 12, 2018 3:00 PM
Our events average over 50 exhibitors, and the list is not final until the day of the event. Check back regularly for additions.
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Hill-Rom, Inc.
- The Boeing Company
- United States Postal Service
- WW Grainger, Inc.
- Airstreams Renewables
- AMN Healthcare
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe
- DeVry University
- First Command Financial Services, Inc.
- Heavy Construction Academy
- Home Base Iowa
- Kay & Associates, Inc.
- Love's Travel Stops
- Ohio Christian University
- The UP Companies
- The UP Companies
- Tiger Heating & AC Services
- True Manufacturing
- Wells Fargo
Chaifetz Arena at St. Louis University
Chaifetz Arena at St. Louis University Information
- The Job Fair will take place on the Arena Concourse.
- Enter Chaifetz Arena via Gate A.
- Free parking is available in the Fred Weber Lot adjacent to the arena, on the NW corner of Compton Ave. & Market St. Enter the lot from Compton Ave.
- There are also several metered parking spots in front of the arena as well.
- Enter the arena via Gate A.
“ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KMOV.com) - Next week, area-veterans will have the opportunity to seek out jobs with 57 different St. Louis businesses. The DAV RecruitMilitary will host the job fair on July 13 at the Chaifetz Arena. The fair is open to not only veterans, but transitioning military personnel, National Guard members, reserve members, and military spouses. ”
“Americans may be shocked to learn that there is no veterans’ unemployment crisis. The unemployment rate in 2014 for post-9/11 veterans was 7.2 percent, the lowest level in seven years of tracking these veterans. ”
“(KMOV.com) – An organization is hosting a job fair where companies will be looking to hire military veterans. The job fair will be held Thursday from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. at Chaifetz Arena. Home Depot is one of the companies that will be at the job fair. The company is looking to hire at all of its stores in the St. Louis area. ”
“New recruiting strategies and partnerships enable Charter to maintain a sustainable hiring platform for military veterans ST. LOUIS, June 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Based on the broad range of skills they gained in the military, Charter is expanding its outreach to the nation's veterans -- letting them know there's a place for them on its highly skilled and diverse team.”
“The latest crisis at the Department of Veterans Affairs has called into question again the proper role of government in the care of our veterans. Whereas healthcare is clearly in shambles, veterans’ employment is another realm in which well-meaning government involvement has been inefficient at best and ineffective or counterproductive at worst. ”
“Peter Gudmundsson talked about the availability of jobs for returning service members.”
“Among the fondest memories Peter Gudmundsson ’85 has of his three years as an active-duty U.S. Marine officer was the time in 1987 when, off the coast of Vietnam, he stood on the deck of a U.S. Navy ship looking up at the Soviet planes flying overhead. What was particularly memorable, he says, was not the plane flying overhead, but the reaction of the men in his platoon”
“Money for Lunch host Bert Martinez interviewed Peter Gudmundsson. Discussed veteran hiring.”
“Mike Rollins is featured on America Now. Recently, America Now visited a RecruitMilitary job fair held at the Hurst Conference Center in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. ”
“Hiring Our Heroes event being held for veterans and military spouses. Early morning news coverage. ”
“Military personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan often find it difficult trying to transition back to civilian life. That includes finding a job, and helping to connect returning vets and future employers is an organization called “RecruitMilitary”. ”
“By Travis Zimpfer Debates still rage in Washington over the debt ceiling increase and the unemployment rate is rising, but today, Chaifetz Arena will be full of undeterred heroes looking for work. RecruitMilitary, a hiring firm that helps returning soldiers adjust back into civilian life, will be holding an “Opportunity Expo” from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Director of Events John Lundberg, a...”
“by Brian Kelly Hundreds of veterans went to the St. Louis University campus Thursday, looking for jobs. The RecruitMilitary job fair drew 46 companies to Chaifetz Arena, 15 more than last year. They ranged from banks to rental car companies to private security firms. The longest line was at the Lockheed-Martin table. RecruitMilitary event director Robert Walker, a former infantryman, t...”
“by Kevin Killeen They have something on their resume that many job-seekers don’t — they worked in the military. Hundreds of vets — from the War on Terror to the Vietnam War — crowded into a jobs fair at St. Louis University sponsored by the firm Recruit Military. Organizer John Lundberg says veterans have an edge in the job market. “Not only are they well trained and hav...”
“By Naomi Snyder Terry Pack was an aircraft mechanic serving in the Army in Iraq, spending two of the last six years in combat overseas. Now that he's done his service for the country, he can't even get a job doing oil changes at Sears. "It's tough,'' said the unemployed Clarksville veteran, who was honorably discharged in January. "I've been looking for any job." A congressional hea...”
“Matt Murphy, RecruitMilitary's Senior VP of Business Development and Sales is a guest on Washington Journal to talk about a recent report that shows the jobless rate for veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars is over eleven percent. He talks about connecting employers, educational institutions, and franchisors to veterans because of their character, skills and training, diversity, and securi...”
What is a RecruitMilitary Opportunity Expo?
A RecruitMilitary Opportunity Expo is an event where transitioning military, veterans, and their spouses can meet with recruiters from dozens of companies. These events are free for attendees. To learn more, watch this video from one of our expos in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Who are the exhibitors?
RecruitMilitary Opportunity Expos are enhanced job fairs or career fairs with four kinds of exhibitors.
- Educational institutions
- Veterans associations and service agencies
What if my only interest is getting a job?
Even if you are not here to discuss continuing education, we recommend that you talk with the education recruiters.
- Today’s institutions deliver learning opportunities in many ways other than traditional, full-time, daytime classes on a campus. So a few minutes of conversation may lead to an unexpected continuing-education solution that is right for you.
- In addition, most of the institutions at our Expos are also large employers and might have job openings at a campus near you.
- We have similar advice for job seekers who have not been thinking of going into business for themselves. Franchise opportunities are available in a tremendous variety of fields. Financing may be easier than you think, with surprising discounts for veterans.
Are the employers actually hiring?
Yes, and they have a number of different priorities and requirements. As a result, their recruiters interact with job seekers in a variety of ways.
- Some recruiters have “hot fills,” job openings that they need to fill immediately. If you happen to qualify for a hot fill, the recruiter may take you to a separate area for a one-on-one interview.
- Other recruiters are looking for transitioning and veteran military to apply for jobs that are almost always open. That kind of recruiter might ask for a paper résumé and/or give you a business card and ask you to call.
- Some recruiters have positions that are not available right now, but will be opening up soon. These employers want to identify candidates and get them in the pipeline now so they can fill those positions as soon as possible when they receive hiring approval.
Why don’t all employers accept paper résumés?
A federal regulation called the OFCCP Internet Applicant Rule tells certain government contractors how to gather and retain job applications via the Internet. Because of the Rule, many contractors require that applicants use their online systems and not submit paper résumés.
- OFCCP is the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, an agency of the United States Department of Labor’s Employment Standards Administration. The OFCCP enforces laws prohibiting employment discrimination by federal contractors.
- Some employers that are not bound by the Rule do not accept paper résumés simply because they have put their entire application process on the Internet. One great advantage to applicants is that large employers can easily route the online résumés of desirable applicants to the appropriate divisions, offices, plants, etc.
If they won’t take my résumé, shouldn’t I have stayed home and registered online?
There is great value in the time you spend talking to recruiters, even if you can’t hand them your résumé.
- You have a great chance to make an outstanding personal impression. A person who presents himself/herself extremely well at a booth may even get an interview for a job opening that is not on the recruiter’s list.
- You have a chance to learn about the recruiters’ companies and their job opportunities.
- You have a chance to network with the recruiters. You can ask a recruiter what it’s like to work at his/her company, and how best to navigate the company’s application process. You can ask the recruiter to take down your name and phone number or email address, and ask for his/her business card so that you can follow up.
What if the employers are in industries that don’t interest me?
An employer’s primary industry or company name does not necessarily indicate what openings the company is trying to fill.
- A drugstore chain may be recruiting for positions in transportation and distribution.
- A brewery may be recruiting for jobs in information technology.
What time should I arrive?
Feel free to try and arrive a little early to get near the front of the registration line, or you can choose to arrive a few hours after the event starts and avoid the crowd.
If you have a question that is not answered here, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.